Thursday, November 8, 2012

Straight jackets and tin foil hats

I hate to sound like a bitter, angry liberal, but, that election was stolen.

I see no other way we ended up with the outcome we got.

It isn't just the presidential race, although if I had to pinpoint which of the losses on Tuesday night hurt the most, that one gets top billing.

I've never placed much stock in polls. And I think they've only gotten less reliable as land lines become obsolete and groups like the Tea Party distrust pollsters and in my experience are unwilling to answer their questions.

We can take from this election that the pollsters are smarter than they look and the American people are getting dumber and dumber, or we can trust what we know of our friends, family and countrymen -- we are a center-right country.

And yet, we somehow elected in an electoral college landslide the furthest left president in the history of this country. Those facts don't jive.

In 2008, the Republicans fielded an absolute horrible candidate -- the trollop John McCain. While the Democrats ran a youthful black candidate who spoke eloquently about "hope and change." Sure that was a vague and meaningless slogan, but we're dealing with 30 percent of the population who probably have to write "L" and "R" on their shoes to know which one goes on which foot. Vague and meaningless works for those people.

We were also dealing with Bush fatigue. (I still miss that guy. I mean really, really miss him.) He spent too much money, presided over too much warring and joined the Democrats for some of the worst legislation ever passed. (Ahem. No Child Left Behind. Medicaid Prescription Drug Benefit.) So, if a voter like me, who adored GWB was sick of him, it's no surprise that less partisan Americans thought it might be time to try something else in 2008.

We have none of those excuses in 2012. I recognize that I live in reddest of red Kansas. (And trust me, Wednesday morning when I woke up I said a grateful prayer of Thanksgiving that I live in a place where the people  utilize common sense and refuse to be helpless dependents of uncaring bureaucrats). However, I am well traveled -- probably better traveled than just about anyone I know. I've spent oodles of time all over this country, and I am telling you, by and large, Americans aren't as liberal as the media or even this election would suggest.

When I spent several weeks in Boston, the breadbasket of liberal ridiculousness, I was shocked when almost every single person I met was a conservative. I mean, almost to a man. I was there in an industry that has nothing to do with politics. I mean less than nothing. Many of the people I met were even union people, and they were not fans of the Democratic Party.

Yes, that's situational, but I am telling you even in the cities where I expect to be surrounded by screaming liberals dressed in vagina costumes, more often than not I find I'm sitting and chatting with a conservative or at least a Republican.

So fast forward to this election. We have a president who no longer seems all that popular. Instead of massive Greek columns and filled-to-capacity stadiums for his speeches, Obama was attracting tens of people even when he had The Boss and Jay Z at his side.

All of the momentum and enthusiasm seemed to rest with Romney. Massive crowds. Winning independents. By all accounts, it was going to be close, but if it was a landslide, all signs pointed to it being a Republican landslide.

Instead, Obama won. Handily in the Electoral College. I quit watching when it was Obama at 303 electoral votes and Romney at less than 200. (I still haven't had the heart to look at a completed Electoral College map.)

If it ended there, I'd simply think the power of incumbency and Obama's personal story took him over the top. But it didn't end there. The bad hits just kept coming on Tuesday night. Somehow every single swing state in which there were tightly contested Senate races, the Democrat won.

I don't believe it. I just don't. I don't think that's ever, EVER, happened in my lifetime, in which the Democrat won every single tight race. That just doesn't happen. And somehow, Mitt Romney received 3 million fewer Republican votes than John McCain did. I just don't believe that's possible. I just don't.

And so yes, I am saying here I think the Dems cheated in a handful of swing states. They jiggered machines. They voted early and often. The dead rose from their graves and cast ballots for the Democrats. I truly believe this. Cheating wouldn't require too much effort in the correct precincts and polling places. I'm thinking of precincts like the elementary school in Pennsylvania with a giant Obama mural. The polling places where Republican judges were thrown out.

I honestly believe that when the panic settles and reasonable analysis begins to take shape, we will learn there was widespread voter fraud. I honestly believe that.

And that's really the only reason I'm mentioning it here. For now, it's politically incorrect (and should be) to even suggest we just had an Argentinian election in which the outcome was known long before the polls closed, but that's what I'm saying (anonymously) here. It's what I believe.

To believe otherwise is to suggest that the majority of our countrymen are happy to be bonded in velvet handcuffs. We want to be Greece. We want to be dependent. We want a bureaucrat telling us what to eat, how many children to have, how much money we're allowed to spend on unnecessary goods.

I simply don't believe the majority of my fellow countrymen are that stupid.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment